Saturday, June 9, 2012

Simple Pleasures


On Tuesday the boys, myself and my mother headed out early to visit the local stock sales! This is something that we have done every Summer for several years. The stockyards is full of vendors selling everything from guns and knives, homegrown fruits and vegetables, puppies, kittens and chickens. We enjoy walking around to see all the cute critters and it's also a good place to find home grown produce at an affordable price! So, after we check out the vendors then the fun *SMELLY* part begins. Inside the barn is where the farmers bring their animals to sale at auction. Tuesday seemed especially busy....horses, goats, pigs and adorable baby pigs!! There were bulls and miniature ponies with babies etc. Oh the simple fun right here in our town! I just love raising boys and helping them explore all the farm heritage we have here. Afterwards we went to our local state park to feed the ducks.....

We took some old bread from our house and fed the ducks until the bread was all gone :) So far all of our boys like animals. My mother and dad grew up on farms. Farms where they milked the cows, went to the hen house for fresh eggs and to the smokehouse for fresh country ham YUM!
My mom can remember going to the stock sales when she was growing up. I remember going to the hen house with my Grandma Sarah and sitting in my Grandma Zola's kitchen while she churned the cream from the fresh cow's milk to make butter!
I wish that my children could have grown up knowing their Great Grandparents and been able to experience all those wonderful days on the farm :(. I just keep their memory alive by stories and pictures and we keep the boys busy exploring the joys of simple country living! I'm tickled to share in that!

Get outside and enjoy the simple pleasures that God has given us!

Sarah

1 comment:

Amy P. said...

this is so opposite of my recent post. lol

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Sarah