Before I begin this post I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to my friend Kelly!!!!
Our friends were going on vacation and needed someone to pick their strawberries, so they wouldn't waste. I volunteered and they were so kind to allow us =) Yesterday morning my mother, the boys and I headed to pick them!
I have to admit that I wasn't expecting to pick very many. I thought there would be just a couple of gallon, so I took an ice cream bucket because this is how they measure a gallon. I took the container in this picture to transfer into...
When we arrived the vines were full of red berries!! It wasn't long before this container was full!!
Everybody picking berries!
Every now and then somebody would hold up a "Big Juicy Red Ripe Strawberry" to show off and then eat it! Then there was an ooh and awww about how good it was =)
While we picked, the barn kitty purred and rubbed up against our legs.
Finally, we worked until we were hot and tired and we finished up!
All picked out!
The fruit of our labor!
(I remembered that I had this tote in the back of my vehicle!)
Can you believe those strawberries?
So, when we came home the work began! My mom is such a motivator and she has been accustomed to working in fruits and vegetables her whole life!
I probably could have sold some of the berries, but didn't know who to sell them to. So, I decided that since my family loves Strawberrry Freezer Jam so much that we would just make a bunch =)
We ate some plain, dipped some in sugar, crushed some up and added a bunch of sugar =), froze some and made freezer jam out of the rest. The only waste was maybe a couple of rotten ones and the stems! So, after lots of hard work here is the finished product...
This is a cell phone pic...Anyway the final count was 18 Jelly Jars and 17.5 pints!!
We had a wonderful time in the Strawberries and look forward to enjoying our jam! Hope you enjoyed hearing about it! I love hearing from my readers!
Have a great day!
I am joining Sunny Simple Mondays
Sarah


4 comments:
Nothing better than homemade strawberry jam - can't wait until they're available in my area!
I love it! We love strawberries too! I have never made freezer jam, (Or anything canned, frozen etc) BTW, we need to set a date and go to the zoo this summer. I am off on Fridays. :)
So much fun!! Only Sarah would have such a neat container in her car :)
This jelly looks wonderful! You'll be appreciating your hard work come winter time when you are slathering that over a hot biscuit! I've never made the freezer jelly, but one year we made tomato jelly. It has strawberries in it, along with the tomatoes. As skeptical as I was, it was tasty =) Have a blessed summer!
Post a Comment
I love hearing from you! Thanks so much for stopping by!
Sarah