Monday, April 22, 2013

Morel Mushroom Hunting...A Family Tradition

On Friday James, my dad and the boys went mushroom hunting or "Dry Land Fishing." My dad has hunted these mushrooms for years with his dad and brothers. It has almost become a competition to see who could find the most! Now that my Papaw J has passed on we are carrying on the tradition.

I had prior plans, so I sent them on to see what they could find.

You might be asking "what are Morel Mushrooms" and so I will let Google answer that for you. You might also be asking "how do you know which ones to pick because there are so many different kinds of mushrooms and some are poisonous." All I can say is that during this time of year while we are hunting there are no other mushrooms in the same area and we "just know."  We have hunted in the same place for many years. (cell phone pics)



It was really cool on Friday evening, so everyone had to bundle up a bit.

Dad knows just where to find them. He knows what trees that they grow near and also what side of the bank or hill.

The boys found some critters while in the great outdoors.


SALAMANDERS!! I yelled out a big EWWWW when I saw these pictures. The boys thought that they were the coolest!

The hunting was successful with 72 mushrooms found.

 
 A few close up pictures of the mushrooms.
The boys and my daddy. Pretty sweet huh?

So, they found a bunch of mushrooms, explored in the great outdoors, got some exercise, spent time with daddy and papaw and the best part of all...
Nonie (my mom) cooked them for us yesterday! Yum!

Recipe: First of all she soaks them in several different pans of hot water (some people soak in hot salt water.)
She cuts the larger ones in half before she soaks them. Salt them, roll them in corn meal and fry slow in olive oil or vegetable oil. Enjoy!

I hope you have enjoyed hearing about it...

Sarah

2 comments:

The Mother of 3! said...

Looks like they had lots of fun while being outdoors! Jay is the one in our house that will eat mushrooms any way you fix them...As for me, they look and smell good, but they are not my favorite. I have to say, those look very tasty!

Amy P. said...

Yep, lots of critters in the woods! Eww, ewww!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Sarah