Monday, July 29, 2013

Central Kansas Flywheel Museum

We just arrived home from a few days in Kansas. We had such a wonderful time! This was our 4th visit there and we just love it! While we were there I searched out some fun and FREE places to visit! The Central Kansas Flywheel Museum was one of those places.


These tractors were before asphalt. They didn't need rubber tires on dirt roads.

The majority of the museum focused on Agriculture and Pioneer Days on the prairie. Not only was the museum a ten minute or less drive and FREE, but it was very interactive and informative! The boys were allowed to climb aboard the giant tractor above along with many other items!

Notice the picture below.


 This was so much fun!  The crank windows, no A/C! How in the world did they survive? =)
These letters were made on pieces of copper, then they were dipped into ink and placed on paper. The words were measured  out just right.

 1880 Newspaper Press. 102 years before I was born.
 Typewriter!! What's that? The boys thought they were very cool tho!
Phone Booth? Isn't that something about Superman? Pay Phone...?
Old Sleigh.

The man giving us the tour of the museum said that since there were no hills close by to sled on when it snowed that his uncle would sling them around on a saucer shaped sled behind a tractor. Horse and sleigh and dog sledding were other options. He also said that sometimes the snow would drift up to 15 feet high!
 Old Cameras
Old wash machines. Both of my grandmother's still owned a "Ringer Washer" when I was growing up. They had new ones, but still used the ringers for certain items.

I had the boys pose beside of the old Kansas signs. Salina is the town where we stayed and it is in the center of the U.S. I-70 which is the Interstate that goes thru Kansas is the very first portion of Interstate ever built.
The western states are in a serious drought. Just look at the parched ground.
This old school house is all original. It was cleaned and polished, but not refurbished. Love it!


I had to take a picture of these rules for a teacher. This was printed in 1915.

The church was original as well! The boys had a little Pentecostal service while we were there =)
Isaiah took this picture! The sky was just perfect that day! Just enough puffy clouds to make it just right! I decided after walking around the "windy Kansas prairie" that pioneer women never had a good hair day =)

I am concluding this post with the end of our tour at the museum. More Kansas posts ahead!

Thanks for stopping!

Sarah

2 comments:

Tonya Howard said...

looks like you all had a great time in Kansas! I love the pics! Isaiah could use that photo at convention. its beautiful!

Amy P. said...

Free is good! Looks like it was both fun and educational.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Sarah